Bird’s eye view before the redevelopment work
FUBIC – Business Innovation Center next to Freie Universität Berlin Campus is the name of the technology and start-up centre currently being established in the south-west of Berlin. Covering more than 50,000 m², the site was originally home to a US military hospital. It was taken over by Berlin’s Charité hospital in the early 1990s and partly refurbished. WISTA Management GmbH acquired the site from the state of Berlin in mid-2016.
The central building will serve as laboratories and offices for research institutes and several innovative companies. The hospital building is being entirely renovated with a GRW funding grant and converted into the FUBIC technology and start-up centre. The focus is on the life sciences, health management, and information and communication technologies. Up to 1,000 jobs will be created for technology-oriented start-ups and fledgling companies.
The FUBIC will have a total usable floor space of approx. 18,600 m², of which almost 8,000 m² will be set aside for offices and laboratories. There will also be co-working spaces, workshops, server rooms, storage rooms and a parking deck. The technology and start-up centre will offer space for a total of 60–80 companies with approx. 700 employees.
The building is scheduled for completion in December 2022. Due to the high density of institutes and technology-oriented companies, the site already counts among Berlin’s sites for future industries and technologies. The FUBIC will moreover serve as a model and research project of the RWTH Aachen University in the field of all-electric systems. The long-term goal is to ensure a completely regenerative CO2-free energy supply for the entire campus.
- Conversion of a former military hospital into a technology centre.
- Project management during all project phases and areas of activity including completion of the VgV tender procedures to identify architects and engineers.
- WISTA Management GmbH
- Heinle, Wischer und Partner Freie Architekten GbR
- Facts and figures
Gross floor area: 28.974 m² Construction costs: 70 Mio. € Construction time frame: 2018-2022
Business and Innovation Center next to Freie Universität Berlin Campus
Bird’s eye view of the planned site (simulation)
Building cross-section (simulation)
Further reference projects
- Health and research buildings Hospital of the German Federal Armed Forces in BerlinMore
- Health and research buildings FUBIC Technology Centre BerlinMore
- Health and research buildings Residence for senior citizens in Berlin-MitteMore
- Health and research buildings Microsystems Research Centre Berlin-AdlershofMore
- Health and research buildings Nauen nursing collegeMore
- Health and research buildings Centre for PhotovoltaicsMore